The basic concept of the Durham Softball sponsor donations is for the teams to compete to earn donations for their sponsor organization. Every sponsor is guaranteed a minimum donation for their participation, but the sponsor will receive a larger donation at the end of the season based on the number of games their team won, where they placed in the standings, and how well they did in the playoffs. Basically, the better the team performs, the more money the team will raise for their sponsored charity.
While the distributions are determined before the season, the actual dollar amount of the donation will vary based on our total player registration. Instead of a flat prize structure, the league will establish a Donation Pool from all additional funds remaining after the league pays its expenses. The size of the Donation Pool will vary based on the number of players, with a larger percentage of each registration fee going towards charity as more players sign up to play softball.
Because we want to help all of the organizations involved with the league, but we also want there to be enough incentive for the players to make league to be competitive, we have divided the distributions into two main categories: 50% PARTICIPATION and 50% PERFORMANCE.
Within the Performance category, the Donation Pool distributions are awarded for the single game, full season, and playoff performances of the teams, as follows:
- 50% – Participation: Split evenly between all teams, regardless of performance.
- 14% – Game Winners: The winner of each game during the regular season.
- 8% – 1st Place: The 1st Place regular season team.
- 6% – 2nd Place: The 2nd Place regular season team.
- 4% – 3rd Place: The 3rd Place regular season team.
- 2% – 4th Place: The 4th Place regular season team.
- 6% – Championship Tournament Winner: The winner of the end-of-season championship tournament.
- 4% – Championship Tournament Runner-Up: The runner-up of the end-of-season championship tournament.
- 2% – Consolation Tournament Winner: The winner of the end-of-season consolation tournament.
- 2% – Umpire’s Choice Award: The team in the league with the best attitude and sportsmanship, as voted on by the umpires.
- 2% – Player’s Choice Award: The team in the league who best represented their non-profit sponsor organization, as voted on by the players.
Thanks to the generosity of the RTP Foundation, we will be able to create a high quality softball experience and raise money for local charities in the Durham community. Expenses are based on pre-season estimates and the final numbers will not be set until registrations are over, but the concept will stay the same. Our goal is to donate an average of at least $300/team per season, so we expect we’ll need at least 15 players per team to reach our target.
The more people we can recruit to play softball, the more we can help these great organizations!